[thelist] ie6 smart tags

Ryan Finley RyanF at SonicFoundry.com
Thu Aug 2 15:56:07 CDT 2001

<tip>
If you don't want your images stolen, don't put them on the web.  And for
God's sake, stop ranting about Microsoft and just do your job.  Head Lemur
sounds like a Slashdot karma whore.
</tip>

	Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Brooks [mailto:m at pleonasm.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2001 3:39 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] ie6 smart tags

"timmee" <timmee at timmee.org> wrote:

> http://www.lemurzone.com/ie6.htm

Lemurzone says "If you were using any other browser or IE5.5 or earlier you
would not be reading this." Hmmm. I was using Opera 5, but was reading that.
My user-agent is "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows ME) Opera 5.11
[en]" - anyone know why Lemurzone didn't parse it correctly?

> please could someone explain the theft of images issue to me?

For the unitiated, Microsoft describes the Image Toolbar thus:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/preview/imgtoolbar/default.asp

I don't quite get it. Lemurzone avers, "[images] are ... not to be stolen
wholesale as the Image Tool Bar would lead you to believe is okay," but how
is that really any different from being able to right-click and save an
image, or File/Save As, which one has always been able to do? The Image
Toolbar doesn't really change much - it just moves the "image save" dialogue
to a different part of the screen.

I guess Lemurzone's point may be that the Image Toolbar makes it that much
easier for people to take images, since it pops up whenever you point at an
image. Believe it or not, I have met people who use the web every day but
did not realize that you can save images until I told them. But now, with
the Image Toolbar, even your 90-year-old granny will be saving images left,
right and centre.

Lemurzone?

Matt