[thelist] Oracle for Dummies

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Mon Aug 6 04:46:07 CDT 2001

Hullo Evolt

As far as databases go, I'm a fairly happy MySQL camper -- but since
I try to keep my fingers in as many pies as possible, I occasionally
get the urge to install a dev-only Oracle db and have a play around.
Every time this urge takes over I set aside a good part of a day to
installing it (or trying to install it, it depends on the day), and
end up either completely and utterly confused, or wondering what the
fuss is all about.

Oracle 8i and (now) 9i database apps come with feature lists that
look like the last decade's high tech headlines crammed onto an A4
page -- which doesn't scare me so much as it causes me to be highly
skeptical. What I'd like is some informed advice regarding what the
concrete advantages are for web developers to develop and deploy on
Oracle databases.

 From Dan's comments it's obvious that evolt.org chooses Oracle -- but
why? No, I'm not being a smart arse (and I'm definitely *NOT* fishing
for a religious war), just interested in the pros and cons, and
perhaps an example or two of how the features are actually useful.

Comments / case studies / opinions most appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Andrew Forsberg