[thelist] IIS ODBC logging

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Mon Aug 6 09:02:39 CDT 2001

> I'd like to use ODBC logging (to SQL Server) and am wondering if
> anybody has any experience/opinions regarding how this might impact
> the webserver's performance as opposed to just using a .log file.

Done this, went back to files for a few reasons:

1) (as mentioned already), you don't get as much information, or control
over the fields logged. You do get quite a bit, but not all the tweaks
you can get through the extended settings

2) performance is faster to files (IIS pre-allocates 64k of file space
and memory at a time to buffer the data going to disk), there was an MS
KB article I dug up that supported files over ODBC

3) and to my dismay the ODBC logging stops and starts with the
connection to the db server going up and down like a yo-yo. This leaves
gaps in the data; not very productive. I never took the time to research
whether it was the IIS connection to the db (SQL Server on a different
box), or traffic load related erwhot

4) depending on your log analyzer software, you may have trouble working
with the data. I tried using MS SiteServer's log analysis tools, and
even it didn't like working with log data in the db; it prefered the
files (parsing problems)

sgd