[thelist] Perl problem and question

Matthew Brooks m at pleonasm.com
Mon Aug 6 18:43:48 CDT 2001

Dwayne <dwayne at iconys.com> wrote:

>					using CGI.pm for nothing more than
>a redirect is silly, but using _anything_ is better than writing your own
>form parsing code.

May I ask why? I'm just curious. The form parsing code (i.e. just the code
that gets the variables passed from the form) that I use is less than 15
lines, pretty basic stuff. I often just copy and paste it from one script
to another, so I'm not actually writing the code anew each time. There's no
overhead from using CGI.pm (however small that overhead may be).

Security is not an issue - of course I use strict, the -w flag, and taint
mode. Or does CGI.pm go further?

I've thought about using CGI.pm before, but never really seen the point
when it's so easy with straight Perl in the script. What does everyone think?

Matt