[thelist] Yahoo! like HTML textarea

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Mon Aug 6 23:17:24 CDT 2001

databarn (hey, got a first name i could address you by?  using nicknames in
such a personal community kinda gives me the hives),

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: databarn
>
> Biggest problem with Ektron is that they want
> per-seat licensing, $300 US a whack when I ran
> an eval ab. a year ago.  While having a license
> assigned to a particular box might work well in
> large corporate structures, it pretty well wipes
> out smaller usage, even if the price doesn't.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

yes, i agree their pricing is unbelievable.  it's even worse now.  it's no
longer a per box license.  now it's a per-user, per domain license.  at
approximately $30/unique user, you're talking some serious cash for
something with a high cool-factor, but a difficult to assess roi.

http://www.ektron.com/download.cfm?product_id=37&purchase=1&purchase_type=1

$300 per 10 users?  even better, $6000 for unlimited users, but a single
domain.  yowza.  what's a dev company supposed to do?  i'm not looking to
purchase a unique license for every domain.  that would not only be
cost-prohibitive to me as a developer, but put alot of solutions utilizing
this feature out of reach for nearly all of my clients.  even worse, giving
the licensing agreement a more thorough look-over, it appears i'm purchasing
a license for a single full not domain, not the entire tld.  that means if i
want to have one for editing content in the administrative section
(admin.domain.com) and one on the front-end (domain.com and www.domain.com),
i'm stuck buying at least two licenses.  even if that's not the case, this
notion of licensing it to a domain is a crock.  at the most restrictive it
ought to be per box.

i'm in the business of supplying solutions that meet my clients needs.  i
purchase all the necessary licenses to make that happen.  i can buy
coldfusion server and it will handle as many domains as i throw at it.  i
only have to try to use ewebeditpro for 20 customers and i've suddenly
equaled my coldfusion expense in a hell of client-side wysiwyg editor
installs.  tell me how that makes business sense?  somebody, please.  at
some point wouldn't lower prices equal more sales and potentially more money
in the bank?

now, before someone makes a comment about how the pricing structure is to
support all the work that's gone into the tool and that i'm simply
dismissing that by complaining about the price, lemme tell you that i know
all about the effort that goes into it.  i've developed a version that we
use internally and for our clients.  it's chock full of features.  i'm
constantly going in to fix a bug or add a new feature.  believe me, i know
all about the effort required to make something like this work.

sorry for the rant,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org