[thelist] Yahoo! like HTML textarea

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Tue Aug 7 11:15:36 CDT 2001

jeff,
 i agree their pricing is pushing credibility. Isn't the usual model to
sell a feature-poor version for cheap (or free), and then make the real
money making it match people's specific requirements (or maybe that *is*
their idea of cheap).

<rant>Like I said we are being discouraged from spending time on
developing this kind of thing and encouraged to buy off the shelf and
bill the client directly. (It's all about billing. R&D was a casualty of
the tech crash)
Personally I just try and do what I always did, but be a little more
careful about how I report my time.. I spread the R&D out over internal
and client projects. It's just not possible to do my job without
spending time on R&D, and yet we are required to be 80% billable. By the
time you've attended mandatory internal meetings and read/written
internal mail, that pretty much leaves no time to even read this list -
let alone participate, let alone work on new stuff.

But if it turns out there isn't a product available what do you do? For
something as simple as this (note I don't equate small with simple -
there is some complexity here but in the grand scheme of things its
relatively straightforward) a week of a developers time would go a long
way to making everyone's lives happier. (My main use for this tool would
be internally - on project sites and stuff like that)

It just drives me crazy as someone who thinks there's always a better
way to have my hands tied. But I do have a job, and this is one company
that looks like it may be around for a while.. so I keep my mouth shut.
(</rant>)

sam

> yes, i agree their pricing is unbelievable.  it's even worse now.  it's no
> longer a per box license.  now it's a per-user, per domain license.  at
> approximately $30/unique user, you're talking some serious cash for
> something with a high cool-factor, but a difficult to assess roi.

..