[thelist] Well, I thought it was pretty (is PHP in UD)

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Aug 7 15:42:23 CDT 2001

At 4:18 AM 8/7/1, John Handelaar wrote:
> Why MM can't be bothered, meanwhile, remains a mystery.

Jeez Louise, after all the times I've retyped this too... are you trying to
make me feel depressed or something...?  ;-)

PHP didn't make the initial cut. UltraDev could not support infinite
application servers... three were the initial target. JSP, ASP and
ColdFusion were used by significantly more potential customers than PHP
was. PHP also had the versioning costs to add in.

Nobody dislikes PHP. It just didn't make the initial cut that's all. The
Interakt folks and others did great work with the server model prototype
sent them by Macromedia engineers. This has been a lively topic of
conversation for months on the macromedia.ultradev newsgroup.

As always, if there's something you'd like changed, then that's a valuable
bit of info, and mailing it to wish-dreamweaver at macromedia.com would get
your feedback to the people making the next version.

(Be sure to check the Macromedia Exchange for UltraDev with term "php" for
more free downloads. Massimo Foti offers more at
http://www.massimocorner.com/ud/php.htm .)

jd