[thelist] AOL ate my website

Alan Mccoy amccoy at altairtek.com
Wed Aug 8 07:46:31 CDT 2001

If they're referring to the graphics being 'bad and all messed up', then
that wouldn't be too uncommon in AOL. We had a client recently who used AOL
to access the web. When she previewed the work we did, the graphics looked
severely downsampled (seemingly, to something below 256 colors) However,
when we asked her to view it in standalone IE using the same AOL connection,
it looked fine.

I was told that the reason for this is AOL caches the images for all their
web content at a lower resolution to enable stuff to download 'quickly'
through that big-ass front end app. We've had other image glitches show up
only in AOL's browser before.

Try to get a little more detail from the client to help you nail down the
problem.

BTW, dogs don't go to heaven...they reincarnated as postal carriers. Talk
about Karma!!

Alan