[thelist] Difference between 'S/T' and 'U' ISDN Interfaces?

Norman Bunn norman.bunn at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 9 10:38:32 CDT 2001

Used an Adtran 4120 for about two years before converting to DSL.  Unit
worked flawlessly, but the setup was a bear.  The Adtran tech support was
super, toll-free, and cost-free.  They walked me through all the setup, even
when I wanted to turn the router into a hub for my DSL.  This router also
provides for the two ISDN derived phone numbers and has 4 RJ-45 connectors.

As far as which kind of modem, I think it depends on your ISDN provider.
They should be able to tell you which form of ISDN they are supporting.

Norman

<tip>
ISDN, though perceived as "old tech", can be a viable and cost effective
alternative, especialy if DSL is unavailable.  I detect only a minor speed
increase using DSL, as many sites appear to be server bound.  Of course, if
you are doing many simultaneous downloads, the speed difference is quite
clear.
</tip>

> Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference between these two interfaces?
I need to purchase an ISDN gateway/router thingy for my home network, and
they seem to come in these two flavors ('S/T' or 'U').  Will either
interface work with the ISDN line my telco will be bringing in?