[thelist] Apache default file for folder

noah noah at tookish.net
Thu Aug 9 12:06:44 CDT 2001

At 12:56 PM 09/08/2001, jon steele wrote:
>I have a local apache server set up, and I was wondering how I could
>set a page to be the default for a folder. For example, if I have a
>folder named foo, and I go to localhost/foo/, I want index.php to be
>diplayed automatically. Right now it shows a directoty listing of the
>folder.

Untested (recently), but should work.

Put an .htaccess file in the appropriate directory with this line:

DirectoryIndex index.php

Another way would be to put the .htaccess in the root directory with
something like:

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.shtml

The first page to be found in each folder (reading from the left) should
show up as the default page.

Cheers,
Noah