[thelist] Installing apache on win2000

David Altherr einstein314 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 9 23:36:25 CDT 2001

IMO, the best route would be to use the same server that your host will use:
If you know for a fact that your future host will run IIS, then develop on
IIS, likewise with Apache. However, if you have not yet chosen a host, then
I would go the way of Apache.  Looking at the surveys, and considering
personal experience, I think you are about 4+ times more likely to find your
PHP host, when you choose one, running Apache.  I'm sure the stats will
continue in Apache's favor as time continues.

While I personally have never tried to move scripts from an IIS environment
to an Apache environment or vice versa, I have read of a few problems, most
minor but a few major ones regarding "get/post" of data via forms as well as
communications with certain databases.

Also, PHP offers some Apache specific functions that allow you to get
request headers and perform virtual requests, for example.

Either way you go, you're probably not going to run into a great deal of
issues if you have to switch environments; but I'd put my money on Apache
just to be safe. If you need help with the config:

http://www.webreview.com/2000/09_29/developers/09_29_00_2.shtml
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=php+apache+configuration+nt

-David Altherr

> I am using the machine for development purposes only as the final site
will
> be hosted elsewhere. At this point I would like to have the site set up in
> way that will be easy for me but still functional for testing whether my
PHP