[thelist] Splash Pages & The Great Unwashed

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Wed Aug 15 13:01:59 CDT 2001

J. Blanchard wrote on 15/8/01 6:52 pm

>So, I need the good, the bad, and the ugly on this topic as some of the
>folks I work with want one for the new site, because they want more flash
>to the site.

Jay

The essential 2 questions are:
1) What value does the splash page add? (ie what's the benefit that
exceeds
    the cost of pissing off your users)
2) What happens for users who don't have Flash (or dHTML or anything else
    which is whizzy and not universally supported)?

The default position should *always* be plain, simple HTML which is
universally accessible, and making it as easy as possible for the
user to access the site's content/functionality. Departures from this
should be justified on a case-by-case basis.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland