[thelist] How excusable is the use of frames?

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Thu Aug 16 05:27:48 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hi PPK

Not sure I agree that fashion is the answer.

Frames were all the rage in 97 when Netscape introduced them because they
allowed designers with no server-side smarts to introduce a commonality of
navigation with central management.

Then 2 things happened:
1) The usability issues were investigated and found to be significant
2) Front end designers learned that there were server-side ways to do the
same
    thing, either via SSIs (even FrontPage allowed includes without knowing
    any code), or building the whole site as an application.

Both impacted frames' cost/benefit analysis significantly. This was a
knowledge
development, not a fashion one.

I don't think you'll see a big corporation with a new site which uses
frames in
any significant way. Most big corp sites which do were developed some time
ago, before the above were understood.

I have only ever seen 2 models for successfully using frames for the
benefit of the user:

1) http://www.anytimenow.com/ (although the same argument could be made for
    any webmail site), to simulate an email client interface, allowing
users to scroll
    through subject lines while keeping a static frame for the current
email's content
2) http://www.mcspotlight.org (not there any more), which used frames to
present
    the live McDonalds site and critique it in context.

Unless you can use one of these models (or find a new one which benefits
users,
(not site managers) more than the usability issues which frames introduce),
then
using frames is a bit of a cop-out to development issues.

Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org