[thelist] top plug ins?

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Aug 16 17:33:07 CDT 2001

John Dowdell wrote on 16/8/01 11:22 pm

>>> 98% of consumers tested could immediately see Flash content
>>
>> I think the key word there is 'tested' - there's nothing in the
>> methodology docs about this, more than 'representative'. I'd
>> be very interested in the selection methodology.
>
>Methodology info, as noted previously, is a directory up.

Yup - that's where I was reading.

>These are the normal NPD Online Panel groups...

Difficult to know what they mean by 'representative', then.
Consumers from their home machines? From all environments?
Normal cross section of ages, genders, education levels, disabilities?

No info given, so I dunno.

This is key methodology info.

>same people that test ketchup and tissue.

Yup, that's why I'm sceptical cos I know the limitations.

Did I mention that my day job is eCRM?

Useful reading: How to Lie with Statistics.

I'm not suggesting you're lying btw, just that I don't have
enough information to know how useful the statistic is.

>These may or may not match a particular audience you have.

Thanks, my point is that I don't know and I can't find out.

>Suggestions for
>other possible groups to test would be welcome at wish-flash or
>wish-director at macromedia.com, thanks.

The problem isn't so much with the groups as it is with lack
of meta-data to interpret the findings.

>> Plus of course, during the survey, nothing more than simple
>> 'Can see the fish' is tested. Nothing about 'can interact with'.
>
>uhh... the point being...?

That the simplistic results will be used to show that there are
no issues with Flash (and other media, so don't think I'm picking
on you).

Now I know that you know that that's over-simplified, and you'd
have to be a very immature (or rapacious) agency to present it
that way. But  that's a *lot* of the agencies globally.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland