[thelist] death by banner- the next generation

Raymond Camden jedimaster at macromedia.com
Fri Aug 17 09:55:27 CDT 2001

> Here's a nugget for a little gasoline on the banner ad controversy.
>
> "Software replaces banner ads on popular sites"
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-6897620.html?tag=tp_pr

What gets me is the quote about sunglasses, and, did the customer know what
they were downloading. How silly is that. If I download Ad Blocking
software, then I know what I'm doing. The sunglasses argument was really a
bad one since sunglasses server a main purpose outside of the ad switching.

Ok, maybe I'm getting off topic. But the gist of the complaints against
Gator seems to be that people may not know what is going on... which just
doesn't make sense. Unless Gator slips into your system at night while you
are alseep.

-Ray Camden