[thelist] I am looking into the possibility of replacing my

the head lemur headlemur at clearskymail.com
Fri Aug 17 18:08:40 CDT 2001

> Is there any type of configuration that a web development should be
> looking
> for in a mobo?

===========windows only===========

Processor then MotherBoard

Amd: Duron 512 K on chip cache(hold that thought)
Via chipset
Plus here is price about 60% of a comparable Pentium
Minus: via drivers are updated on a frequently basis
gotta download and update
Pentium: P3(128/268 k on chip cache)

Intel Chipset
Plus: runs a lot of legacy software
Minus: price and performance

the onchip cache allows prefetch of instructions.
more is better.

the chipset manages the interface with the hardware and software
most programs are agnostic as far as what processor you run.
for webdesign this means when doing graphic work, transformations, sizing,
anti-aliasing, the processor can handle these tasks faster.

Your video card determines your redraw/display speed
32MB is the sweet spot, unless you are doing VRML in which case you need a
silicon graphics or a sun workstation:)

Mother boards come as all in one/video/sound/lan
never ever buy one of these unless you are only surfing and doing email
one componet blows up its time for a new motherboard...

motherboard bus speeds are 66/100/133 the 266/rambus is vaporware and will
not come down in price for a couple of years

the majority of boards have either jumpered or bios selectable 100/133 bus
speed.

100 is fine 133 is unstable in the 13 or so mother boards i have tried in
the last year.

harddrives come in 5400/7200 rpm in ata 33/66/100
use a 7200rpm/ata100 for your work drive
use a 5400rpm for your data drive

put your cdroms on the secondary IDE channel
ATA vs PIO transfer types-zip disks are PIO

most mother boards cannot handle over 54HZ in transmit speed/ components/
latency/ etc.

384MG of memory is your limit...windows gets confused

modems/ buy a new PCI and mark the modem and driver disk/
net cards/ buy cheep
you will be so sorry you ever let anybody talk you into an "intellegent" NIC
card like Intel or 3com

now that I have made this clear as mud, here are my current machines;

http://www.lemurzone.com/news/office2001.htm

the head lemur
Web Standards
http://www.webstandards.org