[thelist] I am looking into the possibility of replacing my ...

Kevin krr at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 17 19:40:50 CDT 2001

Message: 4
From: "Poojie" <poojie at dccnet.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Subject: Re: [thelist] I am looking into the possibility of replacing my ...
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 00:20:52 -0700
charset="iso-8859-1"

<snip>
What I should have asked was does anyone on the list have a
preference
in mobo config's because of the type of work they do?
</snip>

Also check http://neoseeker.com which not only has reviews, but
also indexes hardware reviews on other sites which makes for quick
research.

As for particular mobos...

Socket A (AMD Athlon): Asus A7V133
Socket 370 (Intel PIII): EPoX 3SPA3 or Asus CUSL2-C

Basically it doesn't matter what type of work you do -- it comes
down to stability and reliability which everyone wants. The
features you want (onboard RAID, etc...) are something you need to
decide for yourself.

Daryl

I went thru the articles over at:
http://neoseeker.com

One of the things that stands out above all else is that the ASUS
A7V seems to have really poor stabilty in the Windows 2000 area.
A seal of approval is a must! The other thing I noticed is that the board
has a slower fsb. My current board is running 200fsb and most of the
boards that I am looking at are running 266fsb.

Of  particular interest is the recommendations of the two boards listed
below.

ABit KT7A-RAID, the IWill KK266R

Both of them are reported to be rock solid with only a mention of
inconvenience
in jumper setting area and one mention of the Bios not being quite up to
snuff.
One item that I didn't consider was the raid configuration being an issue.

If I hang onto this board for any period of time then I will probably want
setup some type of raid config to enable a faster write/read setup.

Of course I am only guessing here as a developer working out of my
home office I plan to setup a client / server relationship so that I can
remove some of the work load from my computer. At present "I mentioned
this earlier",  I can't run a firewall or a Virus package because it brings
my
computer to a crawl.

So I guess I would ask if anyone could take a look at this information and
give an opinion(s).

Thank You
Kevin