[thelist] SQL Server: How Can I Convert VARCHAR to INT?

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.net
Sat Aug 18 10:09:37 CDT 2001

:     Comments? Suggestions? Revisions? And, as always, thanks for your
help.
:
: James Aylard

How much data are we talking about?  How often do you need to scrub the
records?  Can you control what data is added to the database after you do
the scrubbing?  Do records get updated after the scrubs, or are new records
only added?  Can you add a field to the table to flag whether the record has
been scrubbed so you do not have to check it again?

A middleware solution (if there is a small number of records, maybe even
including subjective help from a user on some records) may be an easier
route, based on how much headache the SQL only solution is causing.

Sorry I cannot be more optomistic about this one, but it seems unlikely that
you'll find a perfect answer going down this road.

-joshua