[thelist] Hourly charges for a database

Bob Boisvert webdad at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 18 18:46:05 CDT 2001

Hi all,

I guess this question goes out to those of us who are running a web design
business at home. But any are welcome to reply.

My wife and I were having a discussion earlier today about how I should
charge a client of mine. The charge in part is for a database driven web
page not the entire site. Now, my wife was a database administrator and now
a program analyst so she has knowledge of these things. She says that $25.00
US dollars an hour is a fair charge, and also says that it will take
approximately 20 hours on the high end to create it.

My question is, is it best to charge by the hour for a particular page in a
web site that requires a database concept, and is $25.00 an hour low high in
the middle. Keeping in mind that the client most likely will be giving me
the info electronically or inputting into the database herself.

I won't know until I meet with the client in a couple of weeks but she may
have close to between 500-1000 products.

Bob
---