[thelist] [OT] cfdecrypt, was: (Gift Culture)

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Sun Aug 19 01:30:18 CDT 2001

Just to throw out a bit of a tangent here, but I have to say this is
probably my 2nd or 3rd most used bookmark and I highly recommend it to
begining-intermidate cold fusion programmers looking for advanced CF
techniques.

The best example I can give for the usefullness of decrypting some CF
tags is in CF's administration panel itself(the most grave of sins with
some i'm sure). In my case, when I add members.evolt.org accounts, the
most tedious part was adding datasources for the MySQL database
*WE*(yes, we) provide. Every other part(from aliasing /~user to a nice
/user, creating the actual users databsae, etc..) is fairly simple, and
fairly automated. Adding CF datasources was dificult to automate though,
  so I ended up decrypting the .cfm file that was responsible for that
task to make it easier on myself(the MySQL datasource is the selected
dropbox, the datasource name gets passed to the next page(to fill in the
'database name', and the 'hostname' defaults to 'localhost' instead of
127.0.0.1(be allaires default))) to add new accounts.

They were simple changes and easy to implement in this situation(nice
commenting allaire!), and totally cut down on the time it took (w)me to
add a new members.evolt.org account. :)

(this is my situation though were i've(er, *we've*, WE!) bought the
product, and hence i feel it my right to improve on. with individual
developers, it may be a different moral implecation which is outside
this discussion. it may also be totally illegal based on an EUA(L) that
i may have agreed to while installing a trial version of Blu's Clue's
for my niece :)

tip forthcoming(2)

.djc.

Daniel Cody does not represt the opinion of evolt.org or partners in the
associate partnerships of partnerships that are authorised to conduct
business as agents of, or act as contracts for services to clients who
are with evolt.org. Trasmission of this message is intended for its sole
audience. Any reprint, republication, retransmission, or mention of this
email without the express written consent of the National Footbal
Leauge, evolt.org, and my mom is soley prohibited and punishable by
Klingon law.