[thelist] [OT] cfdecrypt, was: (Gift Culture)

Raymond Camden jedimaster at macromedia.com
Sun Aug 19 06:37:50 CDT 2001

Before I begin my rant, let me stress, my opinions are MINE. I do NOT speak
for Macromedia.

> Just to throw out a bit of a tangent here, but I have to say this is
> probably my 2nd or 3rd most used bookmark and I highly recommend it to
> begining-intermidate cold fusion programmers looking for advanced CF
> techniques.

Ah, yes, there is no better way to teach people to break license agreements.
You may not like a license agreement, but no one is forcing you to buy the
product.

> The best example I can give for the usefullness of decrypting some CF
> tags is in CF's administration panel itself(the most grave of sins with
> some i'm sure). In my case, when I add members.evolt.org accounts, the
> most tedious part was adding datasources for the MySQL database
[deletia]

> (this is my situation though were i've(er, *we've*, WE!) bought the
> product, and hence i feel it my right to improve on. with individual
> developers, it may be a different moral implecation which is outside
> this discussion. it may also be totally illegal based on an EUA(L) that
> i may have agreed to while installing a trial version of Blu's Clue's
> for my niece :)

So, basically, what you are saying is: I broke the license because I had a
really good reason?

Well, that's nice for you. What bugs me the most about this is you seem to
think that is not only right, it's a good thing. You say that you bought the
product, and therefore you have a right to improve on it? Bull pucky. You
did NOT buy an open source product. You knew what you were getting before
you bought it, and, most importantly, if you did not like the fact that the
CF Admin was closed source, why didn't you return the product?

Let me say this - I think open source is better than closed source. But,
above all else, I believe in the right of the creator. Daniel, if I make a
software package that is closed source, are you saying you have the right to
decrypt just because you want to? Why do your rights to "improve" it
override my rights as the creator? Yes, it would be better if I open sourced
the product, but if I don't want to, that's my right.

Ray Camden