[thelist] [OT] Gift Culture on the Net: A Rant

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sun Aug 19 15:22:53 CDT 2001

Freda Lockert wrote on 19/8/01 8:51 pm

>Isn't it offer+acceptance+passing of consideration=contract, in UK?
>
>In previous centuries when a contract was made but the seller didn't want
>money to change hands, the consideration was a peppercorn, making the
>contract valid.

No, contract is valid on acceptance - that's when the *obligation* is
created. Under English law (but not Scots law), passing of consideration
is when title to goods passes, although I'm not sure if that's still the
case.

Obviously, IANAL, but I have studied commercial law as it applies to
development of communication materials (ie core commercial law,
plus a bunch of IP).

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland