[thelist] Usability - How to Improve It

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Tue Aug 21 12:33:44 CDT 2001

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice here .. on how best to add a full ecommerce
solution to this web site: http://ceramic.ca.

Essentially, what I want is for "Buy Me" buttons (or text links) to appear
on the product pages.  The actual ecommerce is not an issue, that I've
already got sorted out.

However, if you look at the site, there are two ways in which to find/view
products.  The first option, is clicking on Bisque for Sale, selecting your
search criteria and then the resulting page of all molds available is
displayed.  This is a rather large (width) table.  I "could" add Buy Me on
each line; however, I'm not sure that's the best option.  From this table
view, you can also click on the camera icon which will take you to a
"detailed" page for that specific product.  Again, on this individual page,
I would like the Buy Me to appear.

The other way users can view products, is with the Photo Gallery.  This
displays all products that we have available that have a picture.  Again,
clicking on an image takes the user to the "detailed" page for that specific
product, as above.

At the moment we only have 163 photos available of 416 products in the
database.  This will increase to about 50%, as we've been able to get a lot
of additional photos to add.

I'm at a loss what to do here, how to make this more usable.  I think the
photo gallery section is very important.  People love to see pictures.  If I
get rid of the camera icon on the tabled pages (the search), and reorganized
the search results to actually show the small pictures, I'm concerned with
the 50% of products that don't have pictures.  This would also make the
"detailed" pages pretty much useless, and that would be a shame, as the
small photos don't always show enough detail to really see the pieces.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Michele