[thelist] Can flash pass data to something other than a web server?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Aug 21 18:36:24 CDT 2001

> I know Flash 5 can send a stream of data to a web server
> using  getURL.  Can I have the data sent to a local text file
> or database software (like Access) instead? will Shockwave movies?

When we're a guest in a browser there are fewer permissions granted than
when the presentation is played as a standalone application.

A Director standalone application (a "Projector") can access local files,
and can have extensions added to directly access various local databases.
When Shockwave is in a browser, it can read and write its own private
cookies for that domain, but that's the only local disk access that
SW-in-browser has.

(The Flash web player and standalone applications do not have as many
abilities.)

> I have to develop internal web forms which can't have web access
> as a prerequisite.  No, not even PWS running on the client machine.
> It will take too long to buy and deploy a few thousand Acrobat
> copies to our field staff (which we'll buy eventually).  I need
> something with Flash or Acrobat's scripting power but doesn't
> involve submitting a purchase order and doesn't require a web
> server in order to save data.  Ain't government work grand?

I may be misunderstanding something here, but if you're doing intranet
delivery via web browser, then can't you install a database and application
server on your internal HTTP server...? (You can use the same principles,
even though the World Wide Web would not be involved.)

jd