[thelist] Need help testing first cookies

Paola Kathuria paola at limitless.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 18:56:09 CDT 2001

I've finally decided to have a go at using cookies and have just
converted my Colour Selector resource to write session information
to a cookie so that it's all restored at the next visit:
http://www.limitless.co.uk/colour/

I've done a fair bit of testing and would really appreciate it if
people could try it out and see if it works okay.

The cookie is read on the first page of a session (defined by no
active session ID in the URL).  So, to start a new session, just
remove everything after the ?ID=

For those that have used the Colour Selector before, the cookie
tracks all of the info that's already maintained in a session:

- palette style
- last shown palette style
- palette background
- navigation variaton amount
- mix variation amount
- swatch variation HSL amounts
- units (hex or dec)
- mix's number of variations
- swatch's number of variations
- current colour

I'm also using a separate cookie to store a simple "visit" count.
What's the standard way of counting visits using cookies?

I'm only incrementing the cookie's count if it's more than 5 mins
since the last session.  This is because reloading the first page
in a session generates a new session id and resizing the page in
Netscape 4 reloads the page and so also generates a new session id.
Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks mucho grande.

Paola