[thelist] Interland Hosting Update

Robert Goodyear rob_goodyear at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 12:03:08 CDT 2001

Uh... guys, I have to chime on on this one 'cause I can't keep my mouth shut.

I have had the WORST POSSIBLE HOSTING EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE at HostPro on their W2K
mission product. I had a 68% uptime over 60 days with them. They can't seem to understand
how to keep an IIS service running (an obscure service, no doubt... it's called ASP.dll
;-) I had to ping my site every 60 seconds, and several times a day I had to call in,
wait 15 minutes on hold, and then teach the techsupport person how to unload and restart
a service. Every call began with them trying to isolate my problem and blame me for
having runaway processes (yes, I know how to close my db connections, thank you) or tell
me that I shouldn't use ASP, but rather write my site in plain HTML. Uh... then whay are
you selling a Win2K product that features ASP as its most prominent benefit???

Also, when I got smart and moved some domains off of their service, they left the
mailserver component installed thus trapping all email sent from ANY client hosted at
HostPro to my moved domains. After 4 weeks of them swearing that my DNS record had been
removed from their servers, they finally realized that their mailservers are clustered
and use a non-DNS directory service to transport mail to domains hosted there, which
meant that even though I had been removed from DNS, those mailserver instantiations were
grabbing mail before it even went to the DNS for lookup.

Also (part II) they sometimes change permissions on all folders arbitrarily, they blow
out DSN connections, and they *lose* my SSL cert from time to time.

Anyhow, suffice to say that it's been the worst experience in my life, and no manner of
escalation was able to even expedite an answer on things, much less a resolution.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I've moved to MaximumASP and DellHost (dedicated)
for everything I can.

Hope that gives some perspective on HostPro/Interland.

/rg