[thelist] perl/CGI reference

Ray Hill ray at opengrid.com
Fri Aug 24 19:15:44 CDT 2001

> can anyone recommend some good (online or printed) CGI/perl
> references for someone who knows very little about server-side
> stuff?

If you're going to get a book, the only sensible option is O'Reilly's
"Programming Perl", which is written by Larry Wall, the creator of Perl.

Not only does that make it a pretty much authoritative text, but he also has
a really great writing style.  I mean, personally, I hate Perl with a
passion (long live PHP! hehe).  But even I started to understand what all
that archaic looking syntax meant after digging in to the so-called Camel
Book for a while.  :)

The odd thing is that it's even more user friendly than the seemingly more
basic "Learning Perl" book from the same publisher.  Go figure...

--ray