[thelist] CSS or table?

Frank framar at interlog.com
Mon Aug 27 22:22:15 CDT 2001

>  been seeing more table-less layouts lately using CSS. is
>  it a lot more practical to use css instead of tables
>  nowadays? what are the pros and cons of using each?

I've just converted my own site to CSS2, and quite frankly, I'm very
happy with it. Mind you my target audience does NOT include anyone
with less than 4.0 browser. On thing that is nice though, is that the
site renders almost identically on Netscape & IE 4-6. It even looks
great in Lynx and ICab (which has yet to implement style sheet
support.

I would say that if your layout is simple (as mine is) CSS2 is a good
way to go.

Pro:
Greatly reduced file size
Simplification of HTML
Much easier to maintain.
Every browser (from 4.0) and up can read the data.
Degrades quite nicely.

Con:
Not quite ready for heavy-duty layouts.
A user style sheet can play havoc with it.
Not yet established as viable in the minds of many.
--

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Frank Marion                      Framar Studios
frank at framarstudios.com           http://www.framarstudios.com