[thelist] ActionScript: Finding out a clip's name

Nick Boyce nick at triplezero.com.au
Tue Aug 28 03:27:21 CDT 2001

Erik,

Thanks again for your help.

:: > You don't have to set it, just use the property _name.

Yes, this is the sort of thing I have been looking for. _name and _target
are going to be very useful for me.

The following script was very helpful, but I have some questions.

:: > on (press) {
:: >    this.swapDepths(_parent.current_level);
:: > }

If I have a lot of duplicated movie clips, all with different layers, how do
I find out which one is on top in order to do a swapdepth with is? They all
have a variable current_level set which is showing in a field so that I know
it is working, but it will still now swap depths as required.

The duplicating script:

for (i=1; i<20; i++) {
	var mc;
	duplicateMovieClip (clip, "clip"+i, i);
	mc = _root["clip"+i];
	mc._x = random(300);
	mc._y = random(500);
	mc.linkdesc = _root["linkdesc_"+i];
	mc.linkname = _root["linkname_"+i];
	mc.current_level = i;
	mc.memberusername = _root["memberusername_"+i];
}
stop ();

The drag script:

on (press) {
	{
		this.swapDepths(parent._level15);
		startDrag("");
	}
}
on (release) {
	stopDrag ();
}

Ideas?

Nick

triple zero digital  |  upstairs at 200 the parade, norwood 5067
(08) 8332 0545 | www.triplezero.com.au | nick at triplezero.com.au