[thelist] How do I link cameras to the web?

Salvatore Palmisano spalmisano at usashs.com
Tue Aug 28 09:58:08 CDT 2001

Melody,

I do exactly this, with the exception of the frequency.
I have a web cam attached to my system in my office that captures an image,
FTPs it to my web server, and makes it available on my web site, every 30
seconds, 24 hours a day.

There are several ways of doing this, the most important thing being
hardware:
Obviously the camera must have some interface to the computer.  There are
several software packages that'll then snap an image from the camera and ftp
it whereever you'd like; either to a local ftp server or a provider.

Most webcam software packages support a dial-up connection that'll call a
number, upload the image, and disconnect the modem (Im using WebCam32 from
Surveyor Software http://www.webcam32.com/).

If you do a Google search on webcam software you'll find an abundant source
of information on what's available.

You'll also need web space, and there are lots of sites that give space
especially for web cams (CollegeClub.com, Spotlife.com, etc...again, a
search will yield plenty of options).

Once you have an image capture system and a place to host that image, the
rest is just making sure you automate the FTPing of that image.
Hope this helps, and good luck; keep writing if you have any other questions
:)

--Salvatore