[thelist] image location

Paola Kathuria paola at limitless.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 12:02:39 CDT 2001

VEGAP BCN wrote:
> Does anybody know a way to decode an image catched
> from the web in a way that I could find out any trace
> of where it came from?

The only thing I can think of is to look for any GIF comments.
The GIF format allows for comments to be included in the file.
Packages like GIF Construction Set always adds a comment to
include the name and company that the software is registered
with.  Other packages may also do this and, if you want to
trace the site it came from, you could ask the people who
created the image.

I only know of GIF Construction Set to show such comments.
It's software to create GIF animations but it also allows
you to examine the blocks that make up any GIF:
http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gifcon.html

This page describes the GIF format:
http://members.aol.com/royalef/gifabout.htm

Paola