[thelist] quote from Webmonkey site re: copyrighted images

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue Aug 28 17:09:34 CDT 2001

Jamie Bakum wrote on 28/8/01 10:32 pm

>>Q. If I attribute the work can I use it.
>>
>>A. No, unless you have acquired permsission. Attribution does not relieve
>>you from getting permission to use a copyrighted work.
>
>In most cases - there are exceptions:
>
>US Code 17 - Copyrights - Chapter 1 Sec 107:
>
>"...the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction
>in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section,
>for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including
>multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an
>infringement of copyright."
>
>I think some of the confusion may stem from folks who see or hear of this
>narrow exception and apply it to everything -
>
>So add "News" to the title of your website and steal away ;-)

Fair use is much more tightly defined, and is about using the minimum
to make the teaching/news point. You'd have a harder time with an
image than with text.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland