[thelist] IE6 (missing Java)

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Tue Aug 28 19:05:32 CDT 2001

> what do you say to people checking out a site like bmwfilms.com - which
> uses applets - when they ask why they can't see certain parts of the
> site anymore? is it fair to *them* to make grandma download and install

I'd tell them that bmwfilms.com chose to use applets with no guarantee that
users would be able to use them, or had them enabled.

AFAIK, installing java is probably also optional with Netscape or Mozilla,
right?

If not, is it fair to consumers that they don't have the choice?

> a ~5Mb JVM? is it fair to consumers? not really on both counts, which is
> why all this "We're doing whats best for consumers" spin is BS. :)

It's fair to consumers. If you want pluginX, go and download it. I certainly
don't want it in there by default.

Have you seen how much shit applets cause on a Mac? Dumping the support is
best for consumers in that case. ;)

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au