[thelist] Spec Work...?

Bob Boisvert webdad at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Aug 29 07:39:59 CDT 2001

Hello,

I'm fairly new at this, so new that I haven't officially started my business
as of yet. But I think what I would do here is what I have already done and
put together a proposal for the prospective client and go over it thoroughly
with them (gives time for Q's & A's). The one most important thing for all
parties concerned is to remember that communication is the key to a
successful outcome. If a client has paid out a lot of money already for
previous designs and was not satisfied, it seems as though there may have
been a breakdown in communication, or the client wasn't helped enough in
knowing what they wanted.

What I mean by the above statement is that if a client is searching out a
designer, then the client first needs to know what they want to present on
the web, how they want to come across to the world is pretty important
because it's about them.

I'm not sure that it's the designer's responsibility to tell the client what
their business or purpose is about or what they should be presenting, but if
they don't know what they are looking for, I think it's ok to steer them in
the right direction about how to find out and be better prepared for the
final results they're looking for.

A good start is to search out other web sites pertaining to what they're
about, they may find something they like and say, I want something like
this...but I also want...whatever...

Just my 2 cents, it's time to bring the kids to the aquarium, have to go...

Bob