[thelist] IE6

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Wed Aug 29 10:07:07 CDT 2001

ppk,

> Small fry. The real question is: does it support position: fixed? If it
> doesn't all CSS1 stuff is worthless, because position: fixed is the only
way
> to truly new implementations (for instance,  a frame-like page with a
fixed
> navigation, combining the advantages of frames and noframes).

    The answer to your question is, "no" -- unfortunately, IE 6 does not
support position: fixed. While I don't agree that CSS 1 compliance is
worthless without it, I do agree that position: fixed would be immensely
valuable in developing complex CSS-based designs.

> Mark my words, doctypes are going to cause a godawful lot of cross-browser
> trouble.

    You may well be right about this, especially where doctype-triggered
"standards-compliant" modes render in non-traditional ways, such as
line-height within Mozilla's table cells. And trying to get the
standards-compliant IE 6 box model to render even approximately like the IE
4 - IE 5.5 box model is its own form of entertainment.

James Aylard