[thelist] PowerPoint 2000 to Web Page Conversions

Villano, Paul VillanoP at usachcs.army.mil
Wed Aug 29 12:31:08 CDT 2001

I know we've been around the block on this one a few times but here's the
bottom line.  Does the "clean up" tool that Microsoft provides to clean up
their own mess in PowerPoint 2000 conversions to HTML work for Convert to
Web Pages (PowerPoint 2000), too, or only works in the old (PowerPoint95
Save As HTML) option?  If I convert these files, does that eliminate the
crashing that the straight PowerPoint 2000 Web Pages cause?

I've been using the old PowerPoint 95 to convert to HTML because although it
still has plenty of crap code it's easier to clean up than the PowerPoint
2000 to Web Page mess.  And the latter uses frames, which many folks abhor.
However, the powers that be seem to prefer the frames version because it
lets them advance to specific slides in the side panel rather than having to
clunk through each slide in the presentation.

What is the trade off?  If there are lots of folks who will still crash in
the (frames) version, obviously I'll go with the no frames version.  But if
it's not a big deal I'd might as well give the powers that be what they
want.

PS  Yes, I know there are other programs that clean up the crap code but I'm
limited in what I can use.  No funding you know.  :)

PAUL
"Further up and further in!" - From the Last Battle
"Once a king in Narnia, always a king in Narnia"