[thelist] Writing for the Web (fwd)

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Thu Aug 30 10:50:02 CDT 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:41:16 -0500
From: Susan Wallace <susanhw at webcastle.com>
To: thelist at evolt.org
Subject: Writing for the Web

Greetings!

I have a client that is going to embark on a mission to bring more
interesting information to their clients by interviewing and reviewing
materials specific to their industry. I explained to him that writing for
the web is much different than writing for print (and please don't make us
read another formulaic artist interview!) and he came back to me with the
question "Where can I learn more about how to write for the web?"

A Google search turned up a reference at sun.com that was from 1998, and a
reference to Jakob Nielsens site.

http://www.sun.com/980713/webwriting/

and

http://www.useit.com/papers/webwriting/

The items at Nielsens site seem to be a good starting point, but I am not a
content writer, so I am not a good judge. In addition to these items, are
there any books or other sites that you would recommend? This person has
*decent* writing skills by my uninformed judgement, but he is not a trained
writer, if that helps with pointing out references.

TIA!
Susan