[thelist] repost: Site display in Netscape - help...

Discovery Systems info at discoverysystems.com
Fri Aug 31 16:11:23 CDT 2001

Thanks MUCH Sam...

Was beginning to become despondent with no solution to these probs...

on 8/31/01 12:09 PM, you wrote:

> The top tier navigation items like "Calendar" should be bold right? And
> you have classed the TD so that stuff in it should appear bold. This all
> trickles down correctly in IE, but not so in Netscape. I think you'll
> need to class the A so that it too is explicitly bold.
Tried that - no difference.

Note that my headlines are also defined as 'bold' but this attribute is not
displaying - on Windows - in NN. There's no pseudo links associated with
headlines.

> (also it wouldn't hurt to move the style block into the HEAD. Netscape
> will be less forgiving of this than IE. ) Even better make it a linked
> style sheet so it gets cached and there's less to maintain... that is if
> it doesn't change between pages. )
Will pass this one on to the CF programmer we are working with - he has
defined the style sheet in a 'global' cfm that gets loaded first for every
page. Hmmm... will the stylesheet get cached if it is 'linked' to this cfm
page?

> Also keep an eye on that font. Your font sizes are so small, you may
> bump into the problem where a bold font-weight just doesn't exist (or is
> no different than the regular) at that size.
Thanks for that tip... have updated a few of the font sizes for better
display in Netscape.

>> Making the page quite narrow makes the bottom middle left column 'bleed'
>> into the right (not quite sure how it can even do that since these are table
>> cells) on both Mac and Windows instead of flowing down the table cell.
>>

> could be fixed no-wrappable content, could be a html error that a
> validator will pick up. Could be other stuff. I'll look back later today
> if I've time and you've got no more answers.

Found this issue was a problem with having the parent table width for this
table cell set to 95% - made it 100% and problem is gone - hmmm... not sure
I understand why, but at this point, not questioning the great browser gods
and godesses.

Now, my biggest issue lies in getting my bold text to show up bold on
Netscape in Windows... one final tweak and I can nearly put a wrap on this
one! So... if anyone could please shed some light, would appreciate ever so
much!

Janice