[thelist] SQL - Foreign Key Constraint - in another database?

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Sat Sep 1 14:56:34 CDT 2001

> Later, built a 'grand scheme' core db for other ongoing
> purposes, which also included employee info.

hi joel

sounds like a "system of record" concept

great idea

very au courant in data warehousing

> PO app needs to reference the employee table in the
> new db now, but foreign keys from two tables point to
> the original employee table.

you *could* maintain two employee tables, but i would recommend against it

> I'm thinking my only solution is to remove said constraints,
> move the tables to the new db, then create new constraints.

may i suggest a variation

1. incorporate data from the original table into the "grand scheme" one
2. remove constraints
3. create new constraints
4. drop original table

rudy