[thelist] coding language advice needed

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sun Sep 2 10:17:30 CDT 2001

On Aug 29, ALBIE ATTIAS had something to say about [thelist] coding...

>My question is, what's the best language for me to code this in? ASP, CGI,
>Java, something else?

What's the platform? Unix/Apache? NT/IIS? That's important.

Out of the ones you mentioned, if your'e just starting off andhave no
perl/c background, ASP is certainly the easiest to pickup, especially if
you already have some client-side scripting experience
(javascript/jscript, vbscript).

If you're on Unix/Apache and have PHP support, I'd look into that. Mainly
because the numbe of concepts in PHP are less than a lot of
languages. it's mostly functions (with, of course, normal programming flow
structures) and relatively similar to javascript as far as syntax. If you
have perl experience, I'd say either just go with perl/cgi or go with PHP.

what database are you going to use? or, are you using a database to hold
the questions, correct answers, and users' scores? you probably
should. again, the database you use depends on what platform you're on.

hth a bit,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com