[thelist] weird z-index behaviour in IE6.0

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Sun Sep 2 12:24:42 CDT 2001

Hi

This is odd.

I just downloaded IE6.0 and was quite happy until......

I'm working with Greymatter to set up a blog, and have used CSS for
formatting.

I'm using a stylesheet I found here:
http://bluerobot.com/web/layouts/layout3.html

This uses the z-index to keep a content div above a menu div when the
window gets narrow.

Now the odd bit.

I added a graphic to the content div, which has a colored background.
IE6.0 renders the graphic at a lower z-index, making it invisible!

I then used negative z-indexes so that the div was lower than the
graphic, but NS6.0 goes one better and puts the background above the
divs - no content!

I guess IE6.0 has a bug here, because with z-indexes as expected
background - 0
Content div - 3
Menu divs - 2

The graphic in the content is visible in both Opera and NS

Anyone else seen it?

Anyone found a way out?

Or am I going code crazy?

TIA

Tony

You need NEO - instantly organized email
http://www.caelo.com/a/rl.php3?i=3NTVV