[thelist] OT:Linux-ipchains

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 09:20:37 CDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:46:09 +0100, "John Best"
<john.best at simplytrading.com> wrote:

> All I want to do is use "ipchains" on linux to lock down my box.

Not sure whether Mandrake comes with it installed or not, but it's worth
upgrading to iptables (Netfilter) as Eric mentioned. It's the new
firewalling layer for Linux, taking over from ipchains. So if you're
just starting out and aren't stuck with ipchains syntax in your head I'd
suggest upgrading to it.

As far as configuration software goes, Firestarter
(http://firestarter.sourceforge.net) is a good choice if you're just
starting out. It allows you to use a wizard to configure the firewall
rules, and will also display hits on your firewall in realtime.

I think it'll work with iptables or ipchains, but have a look at the
docs just to make sure.

Another choice is Bastille Linux (http://www.bastille-linux.org). This
is a set of 'hardening' scripts that will walk you through tightening up
the security on your box, including the firewall. It's extremely well
done, with a simple Q+A system that also teaches you about what it's
doing as you go along.

Mandrake are a sponsor of Bastille, so it's probably going to be on one
of your distributions CD's

G.