[thelist] Rebuild Win2k OS on HD after crash - Help

Hugh P Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Tue Sep 4 22:14:01 CDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm in real trouble and can't figure out this last step.

The HD is dying on my computer - sectors going bad.  I've installed a
new HD, used the 'restore' CDs to rebuild this new HD with Win2K and
copied everything I can off the old HD to the new one.  But (if at all
possible) I'd like to move all my old settings to the new HD.

Win2K stores (all? most?) of it's registry setting in:
\Document and Settings.  I've copied 99% of that directory to the new
HD as \Doc.  Now the question.

How do I move the files in \Doc to \Documents... ?  Of course Win won't
let me do that in a Windows session while it's running.  Can I boot
with a Win98 floppy and rename the directories?  I'm concerned that the
Win/DOS 8.3 naming convention will byte (pun intended) me and make the
new HD unbootable - having to start the HD rebuild all over again.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

When/if a solution is found, I'll recap the experience as a Tip.

Thanks in advance,

-Hugh
hblair at hotfootmail.com