[thelist] Office Furniture

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Sep 5 13:35:21 CDT 2001

".jeff" wrote:

> you may already have chairs, but if you can afford it, *DON'T* skimp on
> them.  if you wanna be able to walk fully upright after a long day of work
> then you need a good, supportive chair.

... and while I was just going to skip this thread, I feel compelled
to present the contrarian view :-)

Consider alternatives to chairs. Chairs *suck*. All chairs. They
foster poor posture and all of its various manifestations. I just
*hate* chairs. YMMV.

1) sit cross-legged on a floor pillow (with monitors, keyboards and
       whatnot at appropriate heights, of course! A plastic storage
       crate holds hanging file folders *and* is perfect height for
       a keyboard, at least for me).

2) try the backless kneeling "chairs" (no reference, but I saw one
       in a store a few days ago so they still make 'em); they seem
       comfortable but I've never used one for any length of time,
       being happy with option 1 ...

       These work with standard height desks, though, so you can
       alternate with a standard chair until your back muscles get
       used to supporting your own body weight (what a concept!).

3) there are adjustable-height working surfaces that let you work
       standing or sitting; again, no direct experience ...

4) gravity boots and ... OK, OK, just kidding.

Still - #1 is easiest and cheapest, you can pet the dog and the
cats without reaching, it keeps you limber - did I mention that I
just *hate* chairs?  :-)

FWIW!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --