[thelist] advice on acquiring a web property

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Thu Sep 6 02:03:58 CDT 2001

Greetings all,

I'd greatly appreciate some advice on a current idea I have.

I recently met someone who has for sale a site bearing a very high value
URL. I'd rather not disclose the name of the site. But it is along the
lines of [popularword].co.[countrydomain].

I have some observations and impressions about the site.

1. As stated, the domain is an EXTREMELY common internet term.
2. In this country, .co.country domains are much less well known. Very few
companies use them. Most tend to go for .com domains. Very few even use
.org or .net
3. The site has been online for about 3-4 years, but has only been at that
address for about 2 years.
4. The site is by consensus of several experienced developers very poorly
done and I'm not sure there many people who would revisit it, as it is now.

That said, do you think that if the site is purchased, redeveloped and
properly marketed it can be of value, or would the existing site have
already created an irreparable damage in those who have visited? Something
along the lines of "This sucks, I'm never coming here again".

Thanks.
-marc