[thelist] advice on acquiring a web property

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Thu Sep 6 09:08:55 CDT 2001

It will really depend on what kind of traffic your are generating.  If
the users are the kind that play russian rulette with domains, then it
shouldn't have much of an impact.  If, however, you are depending on
return traffic to keep your logs tuning over, you may have problems.

It is hard to hang an "under new management" sign on a domain.  Once
people are in, you can quickly inform them of your recent change of
ownership and point out the benfits of your new site.

With regards to the use of *.co.* (I can only think of two well known
contries, off the top of my head, that do this), it is not likely that
people will look for your site using the random use of common words.

This would lead to the paradox that your are  looking at the site
because it is a common word and this s being cancel out be the fact that
it is in an obscure country setup (.co instead of .com).