[thelist] PHP vs JSP

Beau Hartshorne beau at pair.com
Fri Sep 7 11:29:45 CDT 2001

I really like Java. I think it's a great language to work with. It's also
what they're teaching at University. So far, I've been making dynamic web
sites with php in between classes. I'm starting to think that JSP might be
*the* way to go. Aside from all the advantages that I've read about it, I'd
be immersed in Java. This would help me produce better work, and better
marks. However, the switch does not seem realistic. How many php hosts are
out there? Lots. What about JSP hosts? 70. From what I've read, JSP really
shines on large projects where carefully developed objects can be reused and
refined. Large projects mean expensive custom built dedicated servers. Large
projects means many person-hours.

PHP seems to be the perfect tool to create small, data-driven web sites.
It's well supported, and it's easy to find good hosting. JSP just seems like
a Good Thing, especially in my situation. The downside is that it's not as
well supported (no jspbuilder.com, etc), and it's hard to find good hosting.

I want to work with JSP, because it'll be good for me. PHP seems like it's
better for my clients.

Can anyone help me justify a switch to JSP for small web projects?

Thank you,

Beau