[fwd] Re: [thelist] ASP Plus??

Don Makoviney don at aspalliance.com
Sat Sep 8 13:39:41 CDT 2001

This message was held by thelist software and
is being manually forwarded by a list admin.
Please remember to send emails in plain-text
format only, or they will not reach thelist
until it is later forwarded by a list admin.

ASP Plus is the old name. It is now ASP.NET - part of Microsoft's .NET
initiative. It is in BETA 2 and is scheduled for general release in
October/NOvember supposedly.

It is not an extension of "Classic" ASP. It is actually an entirely new
version. You cannot mix Classic ASP with ASP.NET in applications. Of
course, you can pass the values of an ASP Page to an ASP.NET page and
vice versa, but you can't intermingle the two on a single page.

ASP.NET is programmed in VB.NET, and is fully compiled (in a manner of
speaking), whereas Classic ASP was using VBScript - so was "interpreted"
code (i.e. much slower and not as scaleable).

Check out the following articles and resources:

ASP Migration to ASP.NET

http://www.aspalliance.com/libraryaspa/counter.asp?art=3D541

ASP.Net, ASP+ . . .What is what?
http://www.aspalliance.com/libraryaspa/counter.asp?art=3D273

Getting Started With ASP.Net
http://www.aspalliance.com/libraryaspa/counter.asp?art=3D380

Moving To ASP.Net
http://www.aspalliance.com/libraryaspa/counter.asp?art=3D411

Should We Move To ASP.Net?
http://www.aspalliance.com/libraryaspa/counter.asp?art=3D425

Additionally, there is simply too much to ASP.NET that I could never
explain it in an email or 1 or 2 articles. I would suggest looking at a
couple of books:
ASP.NET in 21 Days
http://www.aspalliance.com/libraryaspa/counter.asp?art=3D447

XML For ASP.NET Developers
http://www.aspalliance.com/libraryaspa/counter.asp?art=3D511

Additionally, I would check and find out if the app you are talking
about was written in BETA 1 ASP.NET or BETA 2. There are significant
differences between the two Betas and since you are mentioning "ASP
Plus" (i.e. the "old" name) I fear it might be in Beta 1. You may need
to have an ASP.NET programmer tweak it before launching it. The good
news is there are only going to be minimal changes in syntax on the
final release - unlike the changes from Beta 1 to Beta 2. So if someone
tweaks your code to be launched now, you won't have to worry about
making major changes again after the final release. If you need an
ASP.NET programmer to take a look at it - let me know. . .I can get you
in touch with a few.

Additionally, as far as hosting goes - the undisputed champion right now
for .NET hosting is Orcsweb (http://www.orcsweb.com/). Good prices and
super excellent customer service. Very reliable too.

Hope that helps.

Don Makoviney
ASP.Net Programmer/Instructor