[thelist] if else if sanity check

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Wed Sep 12 17:25:50 CDT 2001

spinhead wrote:
> (It's JavaScript, but I'm really looking for the overall concept)
>
> When an if-then finds a true condition to act on, does it exit, or could it
> continue checking for other true conditions? I've got an bit more or less
> like this:
>
> If type = computer Then
>     do the computer stuff
>     ElseIf
>     type = test Then
>     do the test stuff
>     ElseIf
>     total > limit Then
>     go somewhere totally different
> End If
>
> If type = computer AND total > than limit, and the required actions aren't
> mutually exclusive, would it do both, or do the first, then exit? I've
> always assumed it would just do the first, then quit checking.

else if is mutually exclusive in javascript. try this code in a browser:

<!--
if (1==1) {
	//do the computer stuff
	alert(1);
} else if (2==2) {
	//type = test then
	//do the test stuff
	alert(2);
} else if (3==3) {
	//total > limit then
	//go somewhere totally different
	alert(3);
};
//-->
</script>

I think it checks and the first one that passes gets fired. For the
example above, I get an alert of 1.

HTH,
	Joe <http://artlung.com/>
--
...................  Joe Crawford \\ Web Design & Development
.....  mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com \\ http://www.avencom.com