[thelist] Site critique and CSS help

Gerenday, Perry (P.) pgerenda at visteon.com
Thu Sep 13 11:08:57 CDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Hershel Robinson [mailto:hershelsr at yahoo.com]

 > I have just redesigned the site
 > http://www.thirtysevenbooks.com/.

<snip>

 > I use NS 4.61 for testing and
 > '#FFFFFF' comes out sort
 > of chartreuese (I think that's the word for this
 > blue-green).  You will see
 > that the links are defined as that color.  On IE of course
 > they come out
 > white!  Other colors also come out strange on NS.
</snip>

Hi Hershel,

You have made a pleasant looking site. To help keep colors looking the way
you want in Netscape it will help to remove the quotes around your hex color
values in your style sheet, they aren't necessary. Try this:

A {color:#ffffff;
   font-size:12pt;
   text-decoration:none;
   font-family:Georgia, serif;}

<snip>
 > 2 How can I make two noticeably different fonts for two
 > types of text?  If you will look at the Arizal archive
 > section, all of the top few essays have
 > a mix of the text of the Arizal and the commentary.  I used:
 >           font-size: larger;
 > for the text, and also a different font-face and different
 > color and it looks nice on IE.  On NS, however,
 > it looks terrible.  The text is HUGE.
 > Also one tester (one of the Rabbis of this site!) says that on his IE
 > 5.00.2919.6307IC he doesn't see different colors.
</snip>

Sorry, I don't understand this question. Perhaps I'm not following the right
link.
I looked at:
http://www.thirtysevenbooks.com/ArizalArchive.htm  but couldn't find what
you mean. However, I did find this:

Why is this empty span here? <span class=arishort></span> The "arishort"
class seems to be a font style. Was it meant for the link above? It is
possible to indicate a class within a <td> tag in both IE and NN like this
following your plan?

HTH

Perry Gerenday, Visual Communications Artist
www.virtually-artistic.com